The home of one of America’s prominent architects, Philip Johnson, where he lived for 56 years. The 47-acre property in New Canaan, CT, is a testimony to ingenuity and simplicity, unlike the excessive homes today.
Inside the minimal Glass House, built in 1949
The subterranean Painting Gallery, built in 1965
Inside the Painting Gallery includes a painting of Philip Johnson by Andy Warhol; Johnson and his life partner, David Whitney, donated 2000+ works of art to the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) including those by Warhol, Jasper Johns and Robert Rauschenberg; Johnson was the Director of the Department of Architecture at MOMA
Before entering the Sculpture Gallery, built in 1970, there is a bronze sculpture (of a tree) by Julian Schnabel called Ozymandias (1989)
Inside the Sculpture Gallery featuring large steel sculptures by Robert Morris (1970)